Thursday, August 25, 2011

Kindergarten

It has been 10 days since Benjamin started kindergarten and the experience has been more than I could ever imagined.  Anyone who knows Benjamin knows why I was totally terrified about him starting at a brand new school that included none of his best friends and where he would be away from us longer than he ever has on a consistent basis.  Benjamin does not like new situations and is extremely shy.  Sometimes, I can't even get him to talk to someone he has known his whole life. 

I was so conflicted because I dreaded the week of August 15th, but was also looking forward to it for another reason (we will get to that in another post) As much as I dreaded it, I was also excited about this new experience for him.  He loves to learn new things and usually picks up stuff very quickly. 

The first day of school was definitely hard, but I think it was worse for Geoff and me than it was for Benjamin.  He cried a little bit when we stopped to drop him off in the carpool line, but quickly rubbed him eyes and went in.  He said he was nervous every morning before Geoff dropped him off, but still got out with no tears.  I was in the shower on Friday morning and my phone rang.  It was the school nurse telling me that Benjamin has thrown up and we needed to come pick him up.  We think his nervous stomach on top of getting a little car sick caught up with him. 

This week has definitely been different. He loves going to school. He wakes up excited and has a huge smile on his face when I pick him up from school. He has been getting great reports and has received special praise for his good behavior. It is such an answer to many prayers.



No comments: